Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Crockpot Honey Chicken

Hello,

Over the weekend I was looking for a spicy chicken dish to make to go with some Success Boil in a Bag brown rice I had couponed. I came across this recipe that I had pinned on Pinterest to try:  http://www.chef-in-training.com/2012/04/crock-pot-honey-sesame-chicken/ My recipe would have been crockpot honey sesame chicken but...I didn't have the sesame seeds. I just omitted them but I'm sure it would've been delish with them. The chicken came out with a hint of spice. Definitely not overwhelming but very good. I had half the amount of chicken that the recipe called for so I halved the ingredients. So here's how it came out:


Ingredients (since I halved the recipe I will be listing the ingredients by half the original amounts):
  • 1 pound boneless skinless chicken tenderloins - breasts would work fine too
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 2 tablespoons diced onion - I probably used 4 tablespoons of my frozen diced onion
  • 2 tablespoons ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 clove of garlic - I used the refrigerated already minced in a jar kind
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes - I used the original 1/2 teaspoon amount. If spice is not your thing feel free to omit
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 3 tablespoons water
  • sesame seeds - again I didn't have any but it still turned out great

Salt and pepper the chicken to taste and place in crockpot. In a bowl combine the honey, onion, ketchup, vegetable oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes and pour over the chicken.


 I cooked my chicken on high for 2 hours. Depending on your crockpot you can cook it on low for 4-6 or high for 2-3. I normally cook on the low setting but time was of the essence. When the chicken is done remove it and cut it or shred it however you prefer. Pour your cornstarch/water mixture in the crockpot with the remaining sauce and put on high for another 10-15 minutes. This will thicken your sauce. When the sauce is done put your chicken back in and mix with sauce. I served my chicken over the before mentioned couponed boil in a bag brown rice. This is a great spicy chicken crockpot recipe and I highly recommend it. Happy cooking, coupon, and crockpotting!

No comments: