Monday, November 26, 2012

Crockpot Baked Potato Soup

Hello,

Last week I decided to make one of my most favorite soups of all time Baked Potato Soup. I'm a big fan of the potato soup that has chunks of potato in it but also has a creamy texture rather than a thinner more watery one. This recipe really accomplished what I was looking for. The only change that I would make would be to cut my potatoes into smaller pieces. Here's what my final product turned out like:

  

 So you can't exactly see the actual soup but i promise it was creamy and chunky. The recipe I based my soup on was the one found here:  http://momswithcrockpots.com/2011/12/crock-pot-ham-potato-soup/

Ingredients:
  •  3.5 cups peeled diced potatoes - I did not peel my potatoes. I like the skins on. I used about six small potatoes to make my 3.5 cups
  • 1/3 cup chopped celery - I didn't have any celery so I didn't put any in my soup
  • 1/3 cup finely chopped onion - I doubled this amount. You can never have too much onion
  • 1 cup diced ham - although ham would have been most excellent I didn't have any. I fried up a few slices of bacon instead and used it as my meat topping
  • 3.25 cups water - I used chicken stock instead
  • 6 chicken boullion cubes - since I used the chicken stock instead of water I didn't use any boullion cubes
  • 1 teaspoon salt 
  • 1 tablespoon pepper - I salted and peppered to taste instead
  • 5 tablespoons flour
  • 5 tablespoons butter
  • 2 cups milk
  • shredded cheese - I used sharp cheddar for my garnish
  • sour cream - put a dollop on top along with my bacon and cheese

Dice your potatoes and put all your ingredients except flour, butter, milk, cheese, and sour cream into your crockpot and stir.


The recipes calls to cook for 6-8 hours on low and that would work great. I did mine for 3.5 hours on high. When your soup is done, melt butter in a saucepan and stir in flour on medium heat making a roux. Gradually stir in your milk and continue to stir until ingredients are well mixed and the mixture has thickened. Stir in the milk mixture into your crockpot and let cook another 20 minutes on high heat. In the mean time I cooked my bacon. When the soup was done I poured mine into a ramekin and topped with bacon, cheese, and sour cream. I hope you enjoy this recipe and the modifications I made to it. Happy crockpotting!

No comments: