Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Crockpot Taco Soup

Hello,

So I was completely re-inspired to start posting on my blog again after I reader sent me an email encouraging me to keep on going. Thank you so much reader!

Soup is my favorite diet food. Usually for the volume you can have more of it than most other foods. Taco soup has become a weekly staple at my house. This recipe is so versatile. Please remember that you can make this your own!

Here's the finished product:


Here are the basic ingredients that you will need:


  • package of chicken - this one is probably 1.5 pounds or 3 large breasts. Any kind of chicken will do. Fresh or frozen. 
  • chicken broth - 1-2 cups? I usually put the broth in last so I can see how soupy (or not) I want to make it
  • can of tomatoes (or rotel) - again any kind will do. I like the petite diced and normally I'll put two cans in. It's just personal preference!
  • can of corn - fresh or frozen will work too!
  • onions/peppers - I had a bag of both here. Fresh or frozen and as much or little as you like! Usually around 2 cups.
  • garlic - approximately a tablespoon...again your preference
  • salt/pepper/chili powder/taco seasoning - this is one of the first times I made this and I followed a recipe that said to use salt and pepper and chili powder. Now I just use 1 packet of low sodium taco seasoning which I prefer.
  • can of black beans - not pictured here but it brings texture and flavor
  • can of fiesta nacho cheese soup - not pictured here but that stuff rocks! You could also just use plain cheddar cheese soup or none at all if you really want a slimmer version.
  • rice - sometimes I put rice in...normally just the pre-made stuff. Usually about 1 cup.
  • small can of green chiles or jalapenos - whole can of green chiles or half a can of jalapenos. A whole can of jalapenos makes it pretty spicy but not unbearable.
  • optional additions for the finished product: sour cream, cheese, tortillas, tortilla chips



Now just dump all that stuff into the crockpot and mix it all together. Don't drain any cans. Put your broth in last to see how much you want to add. I usually add 1-2 cups. And yes I put the chicken breasts in whole and frozen. Put your crockpot on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. I prefer to do it low and slow but if you're in a time crunch do what you gotta do.

When the 8 hours is up I will take the chicken breasts out and shred them with forks and then put them back in the pot and stir it all up. 1 cup is usually around 120-150 calories which is awesome!

I have to admit the soup is even better when you add the cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips though!

Have fun and play around with this recipe. Happy cooking, crockpotting, and couponing!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is *amazing* looking, going to try it out for our Saturday dinner party

ames1686 said...

One of my favs! Make it usually once a week...so flavorful and filling!