Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Bisquick Coffee Cake Muffins

Hello,

Recently, I decided to make one of the most memorable breakfasts from my childhood. Every so often my mother would make Streusel Coffee Cake using Bisquick. This is the recipe she would use:  http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/streusel-coffee-cake/6961f214-b8aa-480b-8cd5-d57ea4350757#?st=6&term=coffee%20cake&src=SH&ps=9&pi=9#?st=6&term=coffee%20cake&src=SH&ps=9&pi=9

I based my recipe off this one. Basically, I did everything it called for except that I put it in a muffin tin instead.


The coffee cake muffins turned out delicious. And, let's face it, everything tastes better in muffin form.

For the streusel topping:
  • 1/3 cup bisquick
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 firm tablespoons butter or margarine
For the muffin part:
  • 2 cups bisquick
  • 2/3 cup milk or water
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 egg

Heat the oven to 375. Line the muffin tin with paper cups. I made 9 muffins. Let me just tell you that they were giant muffins. If that's okay with you then go for it. Next time I would make the whole pan of 12 muffins. In a small bowl mix all of the streusel ingredients together. The hardest part for me is always getting the streusel topping to turn out how I like it. The butter needs to remain somewhat solid so that you have small bits of "streusel". Not all of your butter will be blended with your cinnamon sugar mixture. In a separate bowl mix all of your muffin ingredients together. Pour the muffin mixture into the tin. Next, sprinkle the streusel topping onto your muffins. Bake 18-22 mins. I ended up baking mine about 26 mins since my muffins were rather large. The other downside of making them so large is that your streusel topping will spill onto your tin and you won't have as much for your muffin! Terrible thing to have happen. Here's how mine looked in the pan:


I hope you enjoy this recipe and happy baking!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Made 12, size was right... Muffin part needed more sugar, however.

ames1686 said...

Good to know! Thanks so much. I'll work on modifying the amount of streusel next time and post my findings!

lpalmberg said...

made them for breakfast...family loved them...thanks for sharing the recipe...it made 8 mini muffins and two mini loaves!

Msneobeauty said...

Just made these for a snack, turned out great!!! Added butter & cinnamon, and xtra sugar to the batter....

MissLadyBoo said...

Great recipe! I made 12 muffins and also added more sugar (a little over 4 TBS) to batter, along with a dash of cinnamon, all spice, and pinch of nutmeg.

MrsAffmx said...

These look great. I'm so excited to try them out tomorrow morning!! Thanks for the excellent post!