Friday, October 12, 2012

Crockpot Cube Steak

Hello,

Wednesday night I attempted one of the recipes I found on Pinterest that I have been wanting to try for a while. Cube steak and gravy.



I have had cube steak before in the crockpot and thought it was amazing. I've also had it fried in a pan with gravy which is also awesome. I personally find it way easier to make it in the crockpot so that's what I went for. Here is the recipe I used for my crock pot cube steak:  http://thepost-itplace.com/2012/01/crockpot-cube-steak-and-gravy/ Very few ingredients and so easy.

You need:
  • cube steak - I had two smaller packs of cube steak instead of the website's use of one family pack but I imagine it was about the same amount of meat that the website used.
  • two cans cream of something soup - the website suggests 2 cans of cream of mushroom. I used one can cream of mushroom and one can cream of chicken.
  • one envelope of onion soup mix
  • 3/4 cup water
All you do is mix the soup, onion mix and water in your crockpot then place the cube steak in the crockpot and stir. My cube steak was frozen when I put it in the crockpot. I put the crockpot in the fridge overnight and then turned it on in the morning. I really don't think it would matter if you starting cooking with frozen meat though I do it all the time. I don't have time in the mornings to prepare the crockpot before work so this method works great for me. I put the crockpot on low for 8 hours and it came out perfect. It might even need less time that that. I'll have to experiment and get back to you on that.

The only thing I might change would be to use 1.5 cans of cream of something soup because there was a lot of gravy. Which is a crazy statement I know. There is no such thing as too much gravy. And I wouldn't like having a half can of soup lying around so I would probably just try to put more meat in the crockpot next time. You could also make this into a lower calorie and fat meal by using the 98% fat free cream of something soups. I also just whipped up some instant mashed potatoes from a bag to eat with the cube steak and gravy. It was awesome.



I hope you try this recipe because it is so simple and cube steak is also one of the lower priced meats that you'll find at the grocery stores.

Thanks for your time and happy crockpotting!
Amy

No comments: